Just For Pet Lover's
Ever rub your fingers on the inside of your pet's water bowl and feel a slippery slime of sorts? Well that invisible goo is called biofilm.
Biofilm is a collection of organic and inorganic, living and dead materials collected on a surface. It is made of many different types of bacteria bound together in a thick substance that acts as a glue to both hold the bacteria together and adhere it to a surface.
Biofilm can often be good bacteria but there is also the bad!
Biofilms provide a safe haven for organisms like Listeria, E. coli, and legionella where they can reproduce to levels where contamination of products passing through that water becomes inevitable.
Bad biofilms have been found to be involved in a wide variety of microbial infections in the body such as urinary tract infections, middle-ear infections and bladder infections.
Many pet parents are guilty of simply refilling the water bowl over and over without a wash and this becomes a wonderful environment for biofilm to soak around in.
How to reduce Biofilm:
Remember to clean your pet's water bowl at least once a week if you can and change water daily.
For pet daycares where a host of different bacteria float around in water bowls, wash daily!
For best results, run your water bowls through a hot cycle in the dishwasher with an eco friendly, nontoxic soap to really clean out the biofilm!