- Alexis Ball
20 Things I'm Thankful For
For my 20th birthday, here are 20 things I'm blessed to have in my life.
As my 20th birthday approaches, I have come to realize how extremely blessed I am. When you are a little kid, you normally say that you’re thankful for your friends, toys and your family. As I have grown and become more mature, I understand that I am so incredibly fortunate for everything and everyone put in my life. I cannot begin to express my gratitude to the Big Man Upstairs for all He did for me. I am thankful for so many things, so it was very difficult to compile a list of just 20 things I am grateful for. So, for my 20th birthday, here are 20 things I am thankful for.
1. My big, amazing, loving family
No matter what I do in life or where I go, my family is there to support me and cheer me on!
2. My wonderful friends
Even though most of us are attending different colleges, we still make time to get together on breaks and stay in touch through the school year.
3. My fantastic roommates (yes, they are my friends as well)
What better group to make new memories and experience new things!
4. My adorable dog (and all of the previous pets I have owned)
Whoever said diamonds are a girl’s best friend never had a dog.
5. My good health
Sometimes we take for this granted. There are many people that have incurable illnesses.
6. The opportunities I have been given throughout my life
From traveling across the country to volunteering at the homeless shelter, each experience has allowed me to grow.
7. My education and the opportunity to go to school and college
Being the daughter of two teachers, I learned at an early age that education is something to be valued.
8. The food on my plate each and every day
This is a tribute to all the farmers in the country that work hard so we can survive.
9. Clean drinking water
Another thing most of us take for granted.
10. Comfortable pillows
I LOVE pillows! All kinds, all shapes and all colors!
They say laughter is the best medicine. They are right; it’s good for the soul.
12. Quirky traditions that make my family special
Every child's birthday party includes the spanking machine and every wedding includes dancing to "We Are Family"!
13. The wonderful sound of music
It doesn’t matter what genre you like, music can always find a way to bring people together and calm your spirit.
14. Rainbows, sunsets, and other amazing natural occurrences
Every rainbow still brings joy to my heart along with bright, beautiful sunsets.
15. The ability to show compassion and be a good, caring person
Showing empathy and feeling compassion toward others shouldn’t be considered a weakness, but a strength.
16. Being able to sleep at night knowing I’m safe
17. Living in a country where I can express my beliefs freely
Another thing that people take for granted: freedom of speech.
18. The ability to walk and talk and see the world around me
19. The memories I have with people that have passed
It’s easy to become sad knowing that these special people aren’t with us anymore, but I choose to celebrate their lives and know that I am completely blessed to have had them in my life.